Sunday, February 15, 2009

What We Know

I was at an event recently where the participants started out in chairs, but the majority of the event took place with them moving around to different stations. At the end of the time, the participants returned to the chairs for a brief wrap-up.

I noticed that when they returned to the chairs, even though they had spent more than an hour moving about and interacting with different people, almost everyone returned to the same chair that they started from.

Why is it that we tend to follow this pattern? Why do we always return to what we know? Even back to destructive patterns and habits. Is it because it's more comfortable to deal with what we know? Maybe it's because it's easier, there is less thinking required. Maybe we're not really as creative as we think.

One time, Jesus came across a man who had been sick for 38 years. He asked the man, 'Do you want to get well?' For the longest time, I thought this was just a rhetorical question, of course the man wanted to get well. Or did he? He was sick for 38 years. What else did he know? What would happen if he did get well? How then would he live?

How long have you been living with that problem? That habit? That thing you know you need to change, but haven't? What would happen if it was changed, different, gone? How then will you live?

Do you want to get well?

1 comment:

  1. OOOOhh, I can relate well. I remember when I was struggling with anorexia and after about 6 months of weekly counseling I realized that I wasn't sure I wanted to get well. Though I was miserable, at least I knew what to expect in my misery. To change meant facing the unknown and relinquishing control. Ewwww. Thankfully, my Father is into long-term refinement and didn't give up on me. He waited until I was ready to say "yes" to His healing.

    ReplyDelete